So in addition to last year's new power to reject director candidates from standing for election, the board can now reject any member resolution for any reason, without submitting it to member vote. The new rule changes reduce the board's accountability to members in several other ways detailed in my March 14 blog post.
Many members were shocked to see how quickly the board took advantage of its new power by rejecting 2013 director election nominee Anders Ourom. His qualifications include:
- MEC Director (1981-1986, 1988-1992)
- MEC Board Chair (1989-1991)
- President, Climbers' Access Society of B.C. (1995-2004)
- Lawyer, Advising Societies and Co-operatives (1995 - present)
- Legal Advisor, MEC Rules Revision Projects (1997-1998, 2001-2002)